My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

Red headed blogger and dog walker who just doesn't like the Frogs.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Resistance is Futile... I have Been Blogged

It was your typical Tuesday evening in late April in Minnesota. As part of my duties with CFACT, we were hosting Jonah Goldberg from the National Reveiew Online to speak on campus. We had a packed house and out of curiosity we wanted to know from whence our audience came. About half said they saw the post on The Corner, another large chunk said Powerline. The rest said they got emails directly from our leaders (Marty and Aaron).

Not a single person mentioned the obnoxiously expensive ad we took out in the Minnesota Daily or the 1000 posters we put up, only to be covered up within hours by various bad alternative bands, gay pride events, and dorm room junk sales.

I have seen the power of the blog, and I acquiesce.

So here is my blog, and I must say, I am well suited for the job. My current position allows me to spend long hours in my underwear in front of a computer. Sure I could spend this blissful time reading YOUR blog, but why not share my special insights, wit, and disturbing mental visuals with you? Besides, I'll read yours if you read mine. Promise.

You may have noticed my title - "Dog Park Walker". This is pretty straight forward, I have a dog named Maggie (3-year old Beagle mixed with hound) and am a regular visitor to the local dog park. Yet this also works on another level (here comes that wit I promised). The dog park is just about the only place where I regularly interact with normal people... well, normal people with an unusual devotion to their pets.

Most of my friends and all of my colleagues are political activists of one strip or another. All of these people, including myself, live-work-breath-eat-and drink to excess politics. The dog park is great because it is an escape and nice microcosm of people from the poor to upper middle class - Micheal Moore loving liberals, to GL toting army reservists - whites, blacks, Hmong, and various other asians and a decent mix of ages and sex - not that I'm getting any. And from time to time, politics comes up and you get a good idea what the non-professionals are picking up and thinking. It is also a wonderful experimental environment for myself to try out new arguments and lines of inquiry.

Thus the name.

Anyway, topics you can expect to be addressed regularly include politics, the conservative movement, CFACT, dogs, dog park experiences, Twins, Cubs, Vikings, Gopher Hockey, History, MN politics, talk radio, and the state of higher education.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Welcome to the Blog Gilles

ABS

6/08/2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Holy crap, next thing you know Franklin is going to get a blog....

Welcome to the Dark Side Bill.

6/08/2005 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

6/09/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Bill Gilles said...

Geoff,

Eddy needs a blog.

6/09/2005 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised to find Eddy blogging on the computer this morning.
Now I know why.

6/11/2005 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home