My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

Red headed blogger and dog walker who just doesn't like the Frogs.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Talk Talk

Our local bastion of conservative radio, AM1500 KSTP, is getting gutted at the end of the year with the establishment of FM100.3 KTLK which will replace a smooth jazz station. KTLK will take Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity away from KSTP and KSTP is going to move towards a local talk angle.

Mitch Berg has a very thorough analysis here.

Below is my take on it in an email to Franklin:

This also falls into my statement the other day that I think Reusse (Soucheray's sports sidekick) is quickly degenerating into WCCO-land(old people AM). He's not nearly as smart or quick as he was in the flashback skits they run. His value to the show now rests on his buffoonery brought on by age. Reusse will take up the mantle of Sid Hartman(the OLD guy). Sadly, Joe is not that far behind. He's got 10 years left in him tops. Joe also needs at least one winner around him, and Lewis is the guy. Limbaugh, Soucheray and Lewis were the golden age for KSTP.

I'd like to see Dave Thompson get his chance, but I don't see him holding with just Joe. If KSTP can go noon to 8 with Thompson, Soucheray and Lewis - you have a real shot. Otherwise I think KSTP may just shrivel up and die.

The biggest loser in all of this is the Patriot who will be a distant 3rd to premiere national talent at KTLK and local talk at KSTP. WCCO will continue to die.

National stars that should be brought on board - Dave Ramsey and Opie & Anthony. They are both ratings gold waiting to explode.


Stay tuned...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll repeat my comments that i shared privately. O & A would never locate here - they are east coast guys, and I'm not even sure they would translate if they were to broadcast here.

And Dave Ramsey appeals only to MBA-finance geeks. We may as well give Alan Greenspan his own show.

We need Lewis, or someone like him.

9/01/2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

The Patriot will not be a loser in this at all. In fact, this will help them a lot. If KSTP goes all local with sleepers like they are apt to do, The Patriot's weekday lineup of talk hosts will kick their ass. The Patriot has been going against Rush and Hannity for some time now, and they're succeeding. Now way this hurts them.

9/03/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Dave Ramsey is about intolerable, once again I find myself heaving my lunch into a bucket because I agree with Franklin.

9/03/2005 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marty's insecurity about agreeing with me is quite amusing. He just can't stand that we may actually get along on stuff.

9/08/2005 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah - and no post for a week? What DO you do all day?

9/08/2005 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home